Mass invoicing can be used to create similar invoices at once for a selected group of customers (accounts or contacts). Mass invoicing always uses a sales order as a template for the created invoices and you can use the function to create invoices only once or make use of the sales orders’ recurring invoicing settings to create invoices monthly, quarterly or once a year.
The target group for the created invoices is determined by selecting a filter in any module and selecting if the invoices are targeted at the accounts or contacts in the filter. For more information about creating filters, see Modules’ Filters.
Creating a Mass Invoicing Template in Sales Orders
A new template for mass invoicing is created in the Sales Orders module by clicking the arrow right next to the New button and selecting Mass invoicing (see the picture below). If you have created a mass invoicing template before, this function might already be shown as default instead of creating a new sales order.
The pop-up that opens will first ask you to select whether the mass invoicing should be done only once (one-time invoicing) or recurringly at set intervals. The next phases depend on the selected option.
To create invoices only once, select One-time invoicing in the Invoicing type phase of the creation (see the picture below) and click Continue.
In the Sales orders phase, you provide at least the following information for the template (see also the picture below. Other fields may also be present depending on the fields created for the Sales Orders module):
- Status – The status of the template will also determine the initial status for the invoices.
- Due date – The due date for the invoices.
- Mass invoicing target filter – A filter in any module that is used to determine the target group for the invoices. This is complemented with Mass invoicing target.
- Mass invoicing target – Information that determines which accounts/contacts in the target filter the invoices will be targeted at. If the filter is in the Accounts or Contacts module, the option “CRMID” refers to the entities in the filter.
- Subject – The subject of the template, and also the invoices.
- E-billing company – The billing company used in the invoices.
- Product rows – These rows are copied for each invoice.
- Language – The language of the invoices, if in use.
- Template – The invoice template for the invoices, if in use.
- Description – The description of the template, which is copied for the invoices.
- Terms and Conditions – The terms and conditions of the template, which is copied for the invoices.
Once all the needed information is ready, click Finish to create the template.
NB! This will not yet create the invoices; see “Creating the Invoices with the Template” further below.
To create recurring invoices in mass for the selected customers, select Recurring invoicing in the Invoicing type phase (see the picture below) and click Continue.
In the Recurring info phase, you can create rules for the recurrence. The following information is needed (see also the picture below):
- Frequency – How frequently the customers are invoiced – options are Monthly, Quarterly and Yearly.
- Start period – The starting date of the recurrence, which is also used to calculate the First invoice date (e.g. if the invoices are recurred monthly, the first invoice will have its Invoice date a month after the Start period date).
- End period – The ending date of the recurrence.
- Payment duration – The payment term for the invoices.
- Invoice status – The status for the created invoices.
- Enable recurring – This setting must be activated to activate the recurrence.
- First invoice date – Automatically calculated based on Frequency and Start period.
The final phase is Sales orders, which is actually used for determining the template for the invoices, similarly to the One-time invoicing option (see above).
In the case of recurring invoices, make sure that the sales order template has products that are enabled for recurring invoicing. To do this, you must activate Period chargeable field and select the Billing frequency in the product’s information.
Creating the Invoices with the Template
Once the template is ready, you can create the invoices in mass by clicking the Actions button on the sales order and selecting Start mass invoicing (see the picture below). If the mass invoicing is recurring, the information about recurrence can be accessed with the action above this.
Depending on the size of the target group, it might take some time until the invoices can be accessed in the Invoices module.
When the invoices are created for the accounts or contacts, some information are fetched from the respective module automatically for the invoices. These include the following:
- Invoice Delivery Method
- Billing Address (Accounts) / Mailing Address (Contacts)
- Billing Code (Accounts) / Mailing Zip (Contacts)
- Billing City (Accounts) / Mailing City (Contacts)
- Billing Country (Accounts) / Mailing Country (Contacts)
- Billing Po Box (Accounts) / Mailing Po Box (Contacts)
- Billing State (Accounts) / Mailing State (Contacts)
- Billing Email (Accounts) / Email (Contacts)